Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Health bar~

There isn't much to show visually at the moment.. oh wait, health bar!

Monday, April 28, 2014


We ran out of juice during the LD jam =(. So that did not amount to much. On the brighter side, here's an image from my personal project.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Ludum Dare

We had a late start to the current ludum dare jam >.<
Here's a piece of artwork that should roughly represents what we're going for in the next 1.5 days.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Simple Arena

Here's a basic arena with some basic gameplay. Victoria's working on a proper enemy sprite to replace the current placeholder we're using.

Friday, April 25, 2014

Walking Eyeball

Just a work in progress enemy that I whipped up for Blue Giant yesterday.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Spawner added

Just wanted to do a small update on the work I've done while on the way to work on Blue Giant with the guys.

Spawners for the zombies are added! Let the party begin~

jon's blog

jon, the technical powerhouse, fellow co-founder of Rotten Mage, and a long-time friend, has just started a blog to document his game development experience! Check it out by clicking here.

Blue Giant Revamp!

Today is the official day of our Blue Giant revamp! It has been hell for the past months working on Blue Giant - mainly because we were out of our depth making an ambitious Metroidvania title. So, (while we've talked about redesigning the game for some time), today marks the day we start steering the game in a new direction. We're also making the switch from as3 to Haxe.

In addition, during my one-month absence from office (no thanks to reservice), the game characters were redesigned, courtesy of victoria. Art-wise, there's a greater emphasis on animation this time around and - while I initially preferred a simpler sprite design like that of They Bleed Pixels and Super Time Force, I do really dig this slightly more detailed look (it's awesome!)

In all, I feel that the energy that was lost over the course of the past few months is surging back. I can't recall the last time we were this excited for Blue Giant.

We will be releasing more details as we develop this title. Our current aim is to build a solid prototype in a month's time.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Making a test...

I think I've more or less done what's necessary for the controls (saved for the discarding of weapons). It might be a good idea to give the controls some kind of test run without having to go through the trouble of having to design and code levels, smart enemies, and environmental features (like doors).

The quickest way to go about this (that I can think of), is to make a single arena with mindless enemies swarming in. I'll see what can be done about that.

A Better Day After #5: More feedback

Saturday, April 19, 2014

A Better Day After #4 Mini update

Reworked the tile size of the terrain and fixed up some position issues with the bullets. Also, added some particles.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Smart tiling =)

Hooray for open source tools!
I've been painting the edges of terrains for my projects manually, so I'm glad I finally checked out what the Terrain Tool in Tiled Editor offers.

This ought to make my life a little easier.

The official tiled tutorial can be found here: https://github.com/bjorn/tiled/wiki/Using-the-Terrain-Tool

Minor update

Basic shooting controls. Setting the right offset on the sprite for the firing point is a pain >.< More visual feedback to be added soon.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Better Day After: Basic Controls

Here's a basic test for the controls of the character. I'm still working on his other moves, such as actually firing and tossing his weapon. The main aim is to provide smooth and responsive controls -so expect the later updates to feature the player diving and gunning down enemies before sliding to the nearest cover!

Jumping, sliding, diving

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Mark Gor Awesomeness

Over the past week I've been working on Futile Hunt - is what I would say if I've kept to the initial design I had in mind for the project. Instead, the project vision has undergone a radical change, and also a much needed re-factoring of the code base. Much time (that is, time not spent in the army; and time not spent watching The Golden Girls) was spent making everything more event-driven. I'm glad to say that the code seems cleaner and easier to work with, and isn't quite the tangled mess of dependencies as it was before.

I've renamed Futile Hunt to "A Better Day After", and my goal is to induce the feeling of badassery from a John Woo epic. Like so. Or so.